Lemon Slices With Olive Oil and Salt Recipe
This dessert combines all four basic tastes: sweetness of the sugar, bitterness of the olive oil, salinity of the salt, sourness of the lemon juice. This is certainly not a dessert for each day, but an extraordinary treat reserved only for special occasions.
Ingredients for the cream
- (160 grams or 5.65 oz) of sugar
- (180 ml or 6 us fl oz) of lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- (60 grams or 2.11 oz) butter, cubed
- (60 ml or 2 us fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
Ingredients for the dough
- (160 grams or 5.65 oz) flour
- (70 grams or 2.47 oz) sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 pinch of salt
- (140 grams or 4.94 oz) cold butter cut in cubes
- Powdered sugar
Preparation time 80min; Servings for 6 persons
- Preheat the oven to (160 degrees Celsius or 320 degrees Fahrenheit). Use smaller square baking pan with sides diameter 22 cm or 8 inch) lightly greased with butter and coated with baking paper.
- Preparation of the dough: In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt and grated lemon peel. After mix in the diced butter knead the dough until becomes airy and compact. Place the dough evenly in the baking pan. Pierce it with a fork and bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- While the dough is baked, prepare the lemon cream. In saucepan add sugar, lemon juice, egg yolks, salt and corn starch. Put the saucepan on stove and stirring constantly with a hand whisk cook at a moderate temperature until the cream boils and thickens nicely (2 to 5 minutes). It is important that the mixture boils, because otherwise the starch will not work. Put the hot cream in a bowl and stir in butter, olive oil and lemon peel.
- Take the dough out of the oven and pour the lemon cream over the top and put the pastry again in preheated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Baked cake first is cooled to a room temperature, then it is stored for a few hours in the refrigerator to cool down and the cream hardens. Then remove from the pan, sprinkle over the top with powdered sugar and cut into pieces serve it on a plate and serve.