Quince pie vegan and non-vegan recipe
Beautiful quince pie made with sliced quinces and custard that is so moist and delicious. This is not a classis recipe and maybe it seems little complicated to make but in fact it isn`t. You don’t need too much ingredients to make it and the result is fabulous. I made a version with eggs and I changed it a little bit to make the vegan version of it also and the result is pretty much the same. Beautiful crunchy crust with custard that is very moist and tasty.
- 8oz (250gr) all purpose flour
- 5oz (125gr) butter(vegan margarine)
- 1 medium egg(no egg for the vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cold water(only for the vegan version)
- Pinch of salt
Quince Filling I&II:
- 3lb (1 kg) quince-for the filing I & II
- 2 fl oz (300dl) water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1lb (500gr) cooked quince sliced
- 8 oz (50gr) grinded walnuts
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 eggs(no egg for the vegan version)
- 180gr sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 oz (100gr) grinded walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 7 oz (200gr) quince puree
- Lemon zest
- 1tablespoon flour (2 tablespoons vanilla flavored starch for the vegan version)
Note: For vegan version use unrefined raw sugar
Prepare the quinces for the fillings:
- First prepare the quinces. From about 3lb (1 kg ) of quince, when they are peeled and removed the seeds, about 750 grams are obtained (depending on how thick you peel the quince). First cut the quince into quarters, it will be easier for you to peel and clean them.
- Cleaned and cut on thinly slices boil them with 2 fl (3 dl) of water and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Do not mix during the cooking and check with a fork from time to time so that they are not over cooked.
- When cooked, drain the water and leave them to cool.
- Separate the quince in two parts (1lb – 500gr and 7 oz -200 gr.) for the two fillings.
Make the crust:
- In a bowl sift the flour add sugar and salt, add the butter (or the vegan margarine) sliced in thinly slices and mix with hands until crumb like dough.
- Then add the egg-slightly beaten (or 3 tablespoons of cold water for the vegan version) mix with hands again until the ingredients are combined well.
- Wrap up in transparent kitchen foil and leave in the fridge for an hour.
- Prepare a 10” (26cm) spring-form pan lined with parchment paper on the bottom and spread the rolled pastry on the bottom and the sides.
- Bake the crust for 20 min in a preheated oven at 400° F (200° C). While baking put something heavy on top of the pastry (like a pot) so that the pastry doesn`t rise and stay flat.
- Mix the walnuts and the bread crumbs and spread them over the baked crust.
- And over put the first layer of the sliced and cooked quinces (about 1lb -500gr.) and add over 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Make the second filling. Separate the yolks from the egg whites. Mix the whites with a mixer and 2 tablespoons of sugar into foam and set them aside.
- Mix the yolks with a mixer with the rest of the sugar and the oil until they are light and creamy.
- At the end add the grinded walnuts and the 7 oz – 200 gr. of quince puree, the lemon zest and the baking soda. (The quince puree –blend in a blender the boiled quinces until they mash finely) and mix it with a spoon. And add the beaten egg whites and gently mix it together.
- Put the second filling over the layer of quinces.
- Filling for the vegan version – Mix the quinces puree (7 oz – 200 gr.) with the grinded walnuts the lemon zest and the baking soda. And add the 2 teaspoons of flour or vanilla flavor starch for more flavor and mix.