Pumpkin walnut crunchy pie
This beautiful pumpkin walnut crunchy pie made with crunchy pastry on the outside and soft pumpkin walnut filling inside is simply delicious. You don’t need too many ingredients to make it and the result is fabulous. This is a beautiful mouthwatering delight. It can be eaten as dessert or as a light breakfast in the morning.
- 1 lb (500gr) filo pastry
- 3 lb (1kg) pumpkin cleaned from the crust and seeds
- 7 oz(200gr) unrefined sugar
- 7 fl oz(200gr) squeezed orange juice
- 30oz(150gr) chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 3oz(150 gr)olive oil for sprinkling the filo pastry
- 8oz (50 gr.) olive oil
- ½ cup (100 gr.) unrefined cane sugar for sprinkling
Prepare homemade powdered sugar for sprinkling:
- Use a coffee grinder, a spice grinder or mini food processor because the amount is small.
- Put the granulated unrefined cane sugar (½ cup -100 gr) into the grinder and pulse until the sugar turns into a powder. I prefer to use coffee grinder to make my own powdered sugar and it tastes better because there are no additives like in the commercial powdered sugar.
Prepare the pumpkin filling:
- Cut the pumpkin in smaller pieces. Peel the crust and remove the seeds. Chop in smaller pieces and grind it or put in a blender and chop finely.
- Put a pan on a stove on a medium heat and add the 8oz (50 gr.) olive oil and add the walnuts and stir them for a little, then add the grinded pumpkin fry for about 5 min.
- Add the orange juice, the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and leave it to braise for about 15 min until the liquid is reduced and the pumpkin is soft.
- Leave it aside to cool down.
Prepare the pie rolls:
- Divide the pastry sheets, 3 per each roll.
- Grease each sheet with olive oil between and on the last 3rd sheet put the pumpkin filling in 1” line and role the pastry.
- Repeat the process. It should be 5 pastry rolls.
- Put them on a greased tray and cut in smaller pieces about 2” each and brush the top with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 350° F (180° C) for about 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Before serving sprinkle with the homemade powdered sugar that we prepared previously.
Pin Us On Pinterest