Honey – Elixir of Health
Honey represents the most wonderful thing that nature gave us; it is the product of bees of the genus Apis (Honey Bee). Nectar located in flower is the main source of carbohydrates which bees process into fructose and glucose that are the basic factors of honey.
Bees produce honey from the flower juice (nectar), which is deposited in special bags in the abdomen and give us a superb natural elixir that you should always have at home and use in food.
Honey is yellow-brown, thick translucent liquid with a sweet and pleasant taste and aromatic smell. Color, smell and taste depend on the plant from which honey is collected.The herbal ingredients in honey strengthen our immune system and make us more resistant to diseases.
Honey has a variety of vitamins and minerals that are essential for maintaining good health including iron, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, magnesium, manganese, chromium and selenium. Raw honey is full and enzymes. They are responsible for regeneration of cells, absorption of food and all biological processes in our body.
Usually the question is whether it is normal for honey to crystallize? The answer is yes.
The real natural honey crystallizes over time and that`s what makes real honey different from the fake honey. When you raise the spoon dipped in a jar of honey it should leak in the form of a continuous thread. When honey is used for sweetening hot drinks, such as tea, the temperature should be below 55 degrees in order not to lose its medicinal properties.
The healing properties of honey
- Acacia honey in the tea of chamomile, is good for the treatment of dizziness, insomnia and menopausal symptoms.
- Honey in the hip tea is recommended for kidney disease treatments and urinary tract.
- Linden honey in a cup of warm milk will ease the effects of colds. Bronchitis and cough reliefs should be treated with one dissolved tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm milk.
- For the treatment of constipation, take honey dissolved in cold water.
- To raise your immune system and improve the general health, it is necessary every morning on an empty stomach to take one tablespoon of honey.
- There are no harmful effects from the honey intake, except for the people with diabetes.
Types of honey
- Acacia honey – it is suitable for patients with digestive disorders and has a calming effect on the entire organism.
- Meadow honey – contains more essential oils and is especially recommended for heart patients, and may help with respiratory diseases.
- Linden honey – has an antiseptic effect and is used for flu, colds, bronchitis and other respiratory diseases. It is best consumed with herbal teas.
- Forest honey – contains 13 times more mineral substances than flower honeys. It is particularly rich in iron, and is especially recommended for anemia.
The use of honey
- Apitherapy – a branch of alternative medicine that uses bee products including honey, pollen, propolis, royal jelly and bee venom. The treatment improves energy recovery, enhance physical endurance and improve the immune system. Honey is also considered to have a calming effect. It also helps in digestion and is sometimes used to treat cardiovascular diseases and respiratory problems.
- Skin moisturizer – honey, mixed with eggs and flour, is an effective skin cream, and can be used in those with sensitive skin. Mix four tablespoons of honey with a few yolks and a few tablespoons of flour, depending on your desired consistency. When the mixture becomes thick enough, you can use it as a lotion for hands and body or face mask to reduce the dryness of the face.
- Antiseptic – Hydrogen peroxide is used for cleaning wounds and helps in their quick recovery. It is thought that honey contains this substance, which is released when is in contact with body fluids such as blood. It leads to disinfecting the wound and preventing the spread of infection, and inflammation.
- Acne remover – is considered that honey helps in removing acne. Apply a little honey on the parts affected by acne and then cover the area with an adhesive bandage.
- Treating sore throat – Some people believe that honey is a better treatment for cough and colds then the pharmaceutical medicines. If you have a sore throat mix a juice from one lemon and add honey in the glass, stir well and drink it.
- Improves immunity – Although it is not scientifically proven, but it is considered that honey consumption can improve the general immune system.