Crispy apple cinnamon pie
This beautiful crispy apple cinnamon pie made with crunchy pastry on the outside and soft apple filling inside is simply delicious. You don’t need too much ingredients to make it and the result is fabulous. This is a beautiful mouthwatering delight. It can be eaten as dessert or as a light breakfast in the morning. This is our favorite family pie ever and I have been making it for every occasion.
- 1 lb (500gr) filo pastry
- 5 big apples –granny smith (or any other kind)
- 5 tablespoons unrefined cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- Olive oil
- ½ cup (100 gr.) unrefined cane sugar for sprinkling
Prepare homemade powdered sugar for sprinkling:
- Use a coffee grinder, a spice grinder or mini food processor because the amount is small.
- Put the granulated unrefined cane sugar (½ cup -100 gr) into the grinder and pulse until the sugar turns into a powder. I prefer to use coffee grinder to make my own powdered sugar and it tastes better because there are no additives like in the commercial powdered sugar.
Prepare the apple filling:
- Peel the apples and grate them in a bigger bowl.
- Add in the bowl the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and semolina.
- Leave to rest for 10-15 min.
Prepare the pie rolls:
- Divide the pastry sheets, 3 per each roll.
- Grease each sheet with olive oil between and on the last 3rd sheet put the apple filling in 1” line and role the pastry.
- Repeat the process. It should be 5 pastry rolls.
- Put them on a greased tray and cut in smaller pieces about 2” each and brush the top with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 350° F (180° C) for about 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Before serving sprinkle with the homemade powdered sugar that we prepared previously.
Note: The addition of the sugar should be adapted depending on what kinds of apples are used, whether they are sourer or sweeter.