Amazing health benefits of celery, nutrition facts and healthy food recipes
Celery is a vegetable plant and we consume both roots and leaves. The content of vitamins and minerals is higher in the leaves than in the roots.
- Celery is a good source of lutein and beta-caroten which have antioxidant properties, which are good protection against cancer, and help, maintain eye and vision health.
- Celery contains coumarin substance that prevents the harmful effects of free radicals, which protects the body from cancer.
- (100 grams or 3.5 oz) of celery root contains seven calories, and an abundance of minerals (magnesium and folate-vitamin B9). And is an excellent source of vitamin C (which strengthens the immune system and help in fighting cold and flues), vitamin K (which plays an important role in blood clotting) and dietary fiber (which has a beneficial effect on digestion).
- Raw celery is very effective ingredient of nutrition for skin diseases, since it helps excretion of toxins (harmful substances) from the body.
- Celery is a natural diuretic, which makes it an ideal food to people who have kidney disease.
- On the list of product recommended for people with diabetes celery occupies an important place.
- Drinks and meals are prepared with this plant are great for regulating high blood pressure, lowering sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood and tea from celery seeds is recommended in some cases of kidney disease.
Do you need more reasons for this plant to include in your diet?
Drink recipe for blood sugar regulation
Wash (200 grams or 7 oz) celery root. Dry it, grate, put into the cooking pot and pour a liter of water. Wash one lemon, squeeze the juice and leave it in the refrigerator, but keep the crust. Chop the lemon zest in pieces and add in the prepared mixture with water and celery. Put on stove and cook for twenty minutes, then remove from heat and allow it to stand for a few hours. Then put in the mixture the lemon juice, strain the liquid and put into a glass bottle and use! Best to be kept in the fridge and drink three times a day for a half a cup (100 ml or 3,4 us fl oz) before meal. This drink is not only lowers the blood sugar but also helps regulating cholesterol and triglycerides.
Soup for detoxification
Celery is a plant rich in fiber. It also purifies the body, facilitates and stimulates digestion, and is a perfect food for detoxification. Nutritionists claim that the soup of celery is an ideal tool for cleansing the body.
Preparation: Finely chop the onion, and then fry it in very little oil until softens, add the grated celery root and one grated carrot, and pour over a (1500 ml or 51 us fl oz) of water. Season with a little nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook until celery is tender. To get a smooth texture, mix with a stick blender.
In a blender put five stalks of celery and two small carrots and mix well. Then cook (200 ml or 6,8 us fl oz) of fennel tea (according to the instructions). Prepared mixture of vegetables dilute with a few tablespoons of fennel tea. Drink in the morning on an empty stomach. This drink contains carbohydrates so its nutritional value should be added to the total amount of carbohydrate for breakfast.
Healthy morning spread
Instead of pate, start your day the healthy spread of celery. A quarter of fresh and less sweet apple and (200 grams or 7 oz) of peeled celery root chop into cubes, add a little salt, and simmer in a pan with (12 grams or 4.2 oz) butter until celery is tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little, then put into a bowl and mix the ingredients with a stick blender. Then add 2 hard-boiled egg yolks, grated half a small onion and a little pepper. Mix again until the mixture is smooth. Keep it in the refrigerator. If desired, can also be added some chopped chives.
Waldorf salad – a great side dish
Wash and peel a celery root, and cook it in water for about five minutes. Then put the vegetables in cold water, and after cooling grate the celery. Then peel the one sour apple, remove the seeds, grate and add in the celery. All mix well and season it with salt, pepper and the juice of half a lemon. Then add a little sour cream (200 ml or 6,8 us fl oz) with less milk fat. Finally, add a handful of chopped walnuts.Note: Be careful when consuming celery since it is a product that contains proteins with allergenic activity, it should be used carefully. Also a cup of celery contains roughly 80 mg of sodium and people who need to minimize their sodium intake should consult their doctor first.